Monday, January 31, 2005

Hammerle's Favorites--Revised

To get a sense of the man behind the blog, I've decided to post a list of my 22 all-time favorite films. Ten is too small, and I like too many damn movies to narrow it down. This list is revised from its previous posting because I forgot two films that are essential to this list: Speed and Toy Story. It's not the same without them. Before we get into it though, I'd like to hear which film on this list you agree with the most, and which you disagree with. Also, are there any surprises on this list, i.e., films you didn't think I would like as much as I do? Let the games begin. Here they are, in order:

  1. A Few Good Men
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Boogie Nights
  4. Moulin Rouge
  5. JFK
  6. Se7en
  7. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
  8. This is Spinal Tap
  9. Scent of a Woman
  10. Jerry Maguire
  11. Crimson Tide
  12. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
  13. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  14. Back to the Future
  15. Die Hard
  16. Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
  17. Speed
  18. Unbreakable
  19. The Matrix
  20. Innerspace
  21. Bad Boys
  22. Toy Story

7 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Agree
1)Spinal Tap (it's on my list)
2) Strangelove
3) Pulp Fiction
4) Boogie Nights
5) BAck to the Future

Disagree
None really. Never seen Bad Boys. If I had seen it, I probably would include it under this section.

Questions
1) What's Innerspace? I guess I need to see this
2) Who Framed Roger Rabbit? I guess I need to see this again (can't remember much about it).
3) P, T & A? I guess I need to see this again.
4) Unbreakable? really? I guess I need to actually watch the whole movie, not just bits and pieces.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

By the way, you need to post pictures above all of the movies like I did.

Ah, I'm just bored at work and looking for something to post.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Hammer said...

Answers to your questions:
1) Innerspace is a great little '80s sci-fi/action/comedy. It's directed by Joe Dante (of Gremlins fame) and produced by Spielberg. It's got Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, and Meg Ryan. Just a really fun movie. They don't make movies like Innerspace anymore.
2) Who Framed Roger Rabbit--I just watched a year or two ago and it still holds up. A great idea for a movie, and Zemeckis really pulls it off.
3) Unbreakable--one of the coolest movies I've seen. I just really like the structure of the script, and the realization at the end. It's not a mind-blowing one, or all that surprising--just a freakin' cool one. It's the most realistic, subtle comic book/superhero movie you'll ever see.
4) Planes, Trains,and Automobiles--John Hughes' best movie in my opinion. One of the funniest comedies of all time, mostly because of dialogue and situational humor placed in the hands of two of comedy's all time greats: Steve Martin and John Candy.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger slugger o'toole said...

WFRR is amazing, and I'm so glad they made it when they did. The film could never be made today and keep all its charm--the cameos of competing studios' properties would never happen with the current competition between animation departments (which is why there is no sequel).

No surprises for me, really. I've seen the list like 90 ga-zillion times and it hasn't changed much. JFK used to surprise me, though.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Susan as Herself said...

I would have to say that I prefer Toy Story 2 over Toy Story...and that's saying something, cuz Toy Story is awesome. But Toy Story 2 is even BETTER in my opinion. Nice list, btw.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger slugger o'toole said...

ts2 is way better. i've given up on trying to convert hammer, though.

traffic cones alone put it over the top.

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
Your list is impressive (Love to see Innerspace, Se7en, and Unbreakable), but you have only one movie made before you were born. We can avoid the cliches (Casablanca, Psycho, Citizen Kane, etc.), but there are so many great films I think you miss out on, such as Vertigo, Notorious, In a Lonely Place, and The Public Enemy. I love Tony Soprano but there will always be just one Tom Powers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home