Saturday, June 30, 2007

Live Free or Die Hard (**1/2)

A lot of people have complained, myself included, about the latest Die Hard movie being rated PG-13, instead of R. Having now seen the film, I can say that the rating isn't the problem, it's the action itself. The Die Hard franchise prides itself, and is a success, because John McClane is your everyman forced into extraordinary situations. In Live Free or Die Hard, he basically becomes a superhero. The action is so ridiculous and over-the-top that it kind of belies the very nature of the Die Hard franchise. But as an action movie, not a Die Hard movie, it's a lot of fun. The villains are terrible and totally non-threatening, but I dug the tone of the flick. There was a lot of humor, and the camaraderie between Justin Long and Bruce Willis was great. It's nice to see Willis as McClane again. He's been so serious in so many of his movies of late, that to see Willis joking around and taking his licks--well, it's just a pleasure. Long live John McClane. Count me in for Die Hard 5, if this one's a success.

4 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John - I wanted to see this until I saw it was rated PG-13 (and I REALLY loved the first Die Hard and I'm a Bruce Willis fan). So now I think I'll wait for Netflix. Do you agree? -- Brian.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, since you're a Willis fan, you should probably see this one in the theater. He's great in it, and his rapport with Justin Long is very funny. If you go in expecting the first Die Hard, you'll be disappointed. But I thought it was on part with "With a Vengeance." The villains sucked and the action was way too ridiculous but it was extremely fun to watch. It's one to see on the big screen.

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hated it.

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erik said he liked and I should see it. So, I guess I'll succomb to peer pressure and go... - Brian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home