Saturday, November 21, 2009

'Tis the Season: Hammervision's Fave Holiday Flicks

The holidays are fast approaching, and what better way to get yourself in the festive mood than to break out the Christmas movies. Everybody has their favorites, sure, and it's a little presumptious to pick the best. When it comes to this kind of stuff, to each his/her own, I say. So instead I'll just list my Top 5 Favorite Holiday movies. Some are traditional, some are decidedly less so, but all are worth watching this time of year. Ho Ho Ho, here we go:

5. Die Hard
4. Love Actually
3. The Muppet Christmas Carol
2. A Christmas Story
1. Scrooged

What are yours? What do you think - does Die Hard count as a Christmas movie? For that matter, does Gremlins? And is Elf the only modern classic that deserves consideration? Does anybody out there actually like Fred Claus or Four Christmases?

Oh, and just so we're clear - my pick for absolute worst Christmas movie of all time: Christmas with the Kranks.

- John

8 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger iv said...

And don't forget Eyes Wide Shut. Sure, most of it doesn't take place at Christmas, but that perfect closing line spoken at F.A.O. Schwarz at the height of toy-buying season forever marks it as a holiday classic in my mind.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger The Family T said...

I think that A Christmas Story should be moved to #1. We went to the real house that the move was filmed in last year--they turned it into a museum, complete with the bar soap, red rider BB gun, and broken glasses. No kidding--it was pretty sweet. I love that movie, but I don't think I would be able to watch it 24 hour marathon style anymore.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

Love Actually tops my list. Rounding out my top 5: A Christmas Story; Its a Wonderful Life (cliche, but Christmas is ALL about cliches); Home Alone (classic); Family Stone (I know what you're thinking Hammer: what? that's a terrible pick! No, its not! So its not your typical holiday movie...the cast was great and I LIKED it)!

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home for the Holidays. A little Helen Hunt, a little Robert Downey...lots and lots of dysfunction.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, Christmas is Scrooged, Home Alone and A Christmas Story. - Brian

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous JP said...

A Christmas movie list without "Christmas Vacation" is a list without merit. JP

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with JP. Have to have the Griswolds involved for it truly to be Christmas.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Mags said...

I have never been a Christmas Vacation die hard fan, so I'm OK with it's non-inclusion.

And, HVH, I find The Family Stone to be very underrated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home