Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Hammervision's 10 Best of the Decade: No. 4

Wall-E (2008)

No "Best Of" list would be complete without recognizing the tremendous impact that Pixar has had on film in this decade. In fact, since the first Toy Story in 1995, Pixar has been setting the bar for animated movies (and film in general) higher and higher, and just when you think they can't top themselves, they go ahead and do it. For my money, Wall-E is their crowning achievement. It is heartfelt and original, at times exciting and funny, and it never loses sight of character and story in the face of some genuinely amazing visuals. The character of Wall-E is one for the ages - an instantly lovable robot and romantic at heart with a soft spot for old school Hello Dolly tunes. Writer and Director Andrew Stanton plays by his own rules here - the movie is quirky and courageous, with a nearly wordless first 40 minutes that are just riveting. The sound design is particularly awesome (say it with me now: "Waaal-Eeee"), and if you've got a Blu-Ray player at home, the movie looks absolutely gorgeous in high-def. Wall-E may be darn near impossible for Pixar to top, but I can't wait for them to try.

Here's the running list:

10. Mission: Impossible III
9. The Royal Tenenbaums
8. United 93
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
6. There Will Be Blood
5. Memento
4. Wall-E
3.
2.
1.

We're getting serious now. Agree? Disagree? Post your thoughts below, and come back soon for No. 3, as the countdown continues.

- John

8 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm stoked, dude. Can't wait to see what the top 3 are.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so it has been two movies since I last commented. I see that like me you really did like Wall-E. I think it is for sure one of the best 10 movies of the decade. Timely and timeless at the same time. I also wanted to comment on Monento as I did leave it off my top ten, but it was really pushing the limit. I wanted it in there and withdrew it for others. Though I can easily see this chose. Original and interesting. Finally you are putting up movies that we can agree on, those first 4, not so much.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with this pick. This and Memento would be in my top 10. Your other picks... I'll share my full thoughts once I see your list as a whole. - Brian

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous JP said...

Mission Impossible III? Okay, I did not see it, but I have heard it was dumber (and by that I mean more preposturous than the first two) from people whose opinions I respect. And Royal Tennenbaums, almost as boring and over rated than Magnolia. The other 5 are worthy but these two turkeys are misplaced. JP

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Hammer said...

JP - sounds like we might disagree on some things. Not a bad thing though. First, you should really see M:I3 before judging it. Trying to even compare it to the first two Mission: Impossibles is a cakewalk. It is light years better than those. And any movie by J.J. Abrams at this point is his career is required viewing for any movie fan. Second, Tenenbaums has been a controversial choice on this site. I recognize that it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it deserves to be seen by everyone. I hate to see what'd you think of my Best of the 90s list though because Magnolia (your other overrated gem) figures prominently in that list.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

I've changed my mind. Yesterday, I saw the movie UP, and I think Wal- E has to surrender its top ten spot. As far as animated movies go, I think UP is the better movie.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous JP said...

Sorry Hammer a movie has to be more than a few great scenes. A story with a great ending is rare these days. It is why I consider Kill Bills and Inglorious as mostly unsatisfactory especially compared to Pulp and Dogs. Fargo is classic, A Serious Man and Barton Fink are sleep inducing, much like Magnolia. Lastly, No Country For Old Men should be right above or below There Will Be Blood as I can't pick one over the other. Keep up the good work, JP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home